Connect with us

Politics

Top official calls for new constitution for ‘new Türkiye’

Published

on


Deputy Parliament Speaker Bekir Bozdağ, a former justice minister, called on Türkiye to get rid of the “shame of being governed by a coup constitution in the second centenary of the republic.

Bozdağ was speaking at an event on the Constitution at Bozok University in the central province of Yozgat on Monday. “A new constitution means a new Türkiye,” he said.

He said a new constitution should be the “absolute” agenda of Türkiye and pointed out that everyone, every segment of society were unanimous for the need of a new constitution, though efforts to draft it failed so far.

The government has been pushing to overhaul the Constitution for over a decade now, which was adopted in 1982 following a military coup that led to the detention of hundreds of thousands of people along with mass trials, torture and executions, which still represents a dark period in Turkish political history.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) officials have repeatedly called for a new civilian constitution to replace it, describing the current one as “outdated.” The AK Party has included a declaration on a new constitution in its 2023 election campaign. The “New Constitution for the New Century of Türkiye” declaration, which refers to the second century of the Republic of Türkiye, underlined the need for a new constitution.

“Establishing a constitutional order based on human dignity for the prevalence of developments in the field of rights and freedoms is necessary,” the 2023 declaration said. The declaration also said the constitution would preserve democratic gains acquired during the AK Party’s governance and would ensure a high-standard democracy, guarantees for freedoms and the supremacy of law.

Bozdağ said on Monday that although Parliament made radical changes and reforms to the 1982 Constitution, this did not remove the existence of the Constitution, and on the contrary, those changes only fueled the need for a wholly new constitution. He underlined that developments in Türkiye and the world, and political shifts, took this need to the next level. “History forces us to draft a new constitution,” he said. “The Constitution was not formed, even in a democratic environment where everyone felt free. We are supposed to draft a new constitution with the contributions of civic society, political parties, universities, everyone. This will be a unique process then,” he stressed. “The 1982 Constitution cannot carry us forward. A new constitution is key to a new Türkiye. We cannot lose time with fruitless debates on the Constitution,” he added.

The Daily Sabah Newsletter

Keep up to date with what’s happening in Turkey,
it’s region and the world.

SIGN ME UP

You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

FM Fidan, Jordanian FM Safadi discuss Israeli violations in Palestine

Published

on


Hakan Fidan discussed the latest developments in Palestine during a phone conversation on Monday with his Jordanian counterpart, Ayman Safadi, Turkish diplomatic sources said.

The two ministers exchanged views on the latest developments in Palestine, the sources said.

No further information was provided regarding the phone conversation.

Earlier Sunday, the Israeli government approved a proposal to register vast areas of the occupied West Bank as “state property,” the first such measure since Israel occupied the territory in 1967.

Türkiye called on the international community to take a firm stance against Israeli attempts to create facts on the ground.

The ministry said Türkiye will continue to support efforts to “establish an independent, sovereign and contiguous” Palestinian state based on the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital.

The Daily Sabah Newsletter

Keep up to date with what’s happening in Turkey,
it’s region and the world.

SIGN ME UP

You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Somali PM praises Türkiye’s deep-sea drilling mission as ‘historic’

Published

on


Somali Prime Minister Hamza Abdi Barre on Monday hailed the launch of Türkiye’s deep-sea drilling mission off the coast of Somalia as a “historic” step, as Ankara’s deep-sea drillship Çağrı Bey makes its way to begin its first overseas mission.

“Today, with Çağrı Bey, we may be witnessing the beginning of something greater – the opening chapter of real economic transformation,” Barre wrote on his X account.

He described the mission as a moment when Somalia’s natural wealth begins to drive national strength and deliver the long-awaited impact for the people.

“Generations of our people have grown up hearing that Somalia is rich in resources; yet for decades, they have waited to see that promise fulfilled. That wait is ending. Better days are on the horizon,” Barre said.

He praised Somalia’s “Turkish brothers,” led by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, for choosing Somalia as the first destination of the historic mission.

“This decision is more than strategic – it is a symbol of trust crossing distances and a testament to the evolving partnership between Türkiye and Somalia, rooted in brotherhood and a shared belief in a better tomorrow,” he added.

Çağrı Bey, which departed from the southern port of Taşucu in Mersin province on Sunday, is expected to reach Mogadishu in about 45 days and begin drilling in April at the Curad-1 well.

Türkiye and Somalia signed agreements in 2024 covering onshore and offshore oil and gas exploration. The seismic vessel Oruç Reis previously completed surveys in three offshore blocks.

The Daily Sabah Newsletter

Keep up to date with what’s happening in Turkey,
it’s region and the world.

SIGN ME UP

You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

88 captured in nationwide ops in Türkiye against FETÖ

Published

on


Security forces on Tuesday apprehended 88 suspects linked to the Gülenist Terror Group (FETÖ), the culprit of a 2016 coup attempt.

Suspects were targets of operations that were a culmination of two separate investigations in Istanbul and central Türkiye’s Kayseri.

Kayseri police, in coordination with the National Intelligence Organization (MIT), launched operations in four cities, including Kayseri, Istanbul, Adana and Mersin, after eight months of surveillance. A total of 70 suspects were captured in operations. Along with unlicensed guns, police found hidden video and audio recorders in raided locations, along with printed and digital propaganda material, security sources said.

In Istanbul, the Chief Prosecutor’s Office announced on Tuesday that 18 suspects, including 16 public official,s were detained in operations against FETÖ in eight cities. The office said suspects were identified through a FETÖ database supplied by a secret eyewitness codenamed “Garson” and logs of encrypted messages between suspects.

“Garson,” a former member of the group, delivered an encrypted database of the group to police years ago. MIT deciphered the database in six years and discovered 3,000 infiltrators of FETÖ within the Turkish National Police. Statements of “Garson” indicate that FETÖ maintained surveillance on 320,000 members of the police force for 16 years, up until its notorious first attempt to topple the government in December 2013. Speaking about the lists, “Garson” told investigators that they were created by the group’s handlers of infiltrators within law enforcement and they were regularly presented to FETÖ leadership, to give insight about the scope of their infiltration. The lists contain all details about officers in terms of their affiliation with the group and rate them on their “loyalty.”

The Chief Prosecutor’s Office in Istanbul said Tuesday’s operations also netted two “secret imams” of FETÖ, handlers of infiltrators, and 16 other suspects who were public officials loyal to those so-called imams. Operations were held in Istanbul, Ankara, Elazığ, Gaziantep, Kastamonu, Kayseri and Samsun to capture the suspects.

The Daily Sabah Newsletter

Keep up to date with what’s happening in Turkey,
it’s region and the world.

SIGN ME UP

You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Türkiye’s ruling party dismisses calls for early election before 2028

Published

on


Hüseyin Yayman, deputy chair of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party), stressed on Monday that no early elections will be held in 2026 or early 2027, dismissing opposition calls for a snap vote and reiterating that the next general elections are scheduled for 2028.

Yayman told a party meeting in the western province of Uşak that elections would take place on time in 2028, according to remarks carried by local media.

“Türkiye will not have early elections in 2026 or at the beginning of 2027,” Yayman said, accusing the opposition of repeatedly raising the issue after losing multiple contests over the past two decades.

Speaking at an expanded provincial advisory council meeting organized by the party’s Uşak branch, Yayman said the AK Party had entered a period of consolidation and renewal following the March 31 local elections. He added that opinion polls show the party remains in first place and that it is working under the leadership of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to widen its lead.

Yayman said the ruling party focuses on “the people and the streets” rather than on its main opposition, the Republican People’s Party (CHP). He criticized CHP-run municipalities, alleging mismanagement and wasteful spending despite ongoing urban challenges such as water shortages and traffic congestion.

He underlined the AK Party’s record in power, pointing to investments in transportation, health care and other public services. Türkiye has drawn admiration from abroad, he said, while accusing the opposition of engaging in disinformation and perception campaigns that undermine the country’s development and global standing.

On the timing of the next presidential vote, Yayman suggested that Parliament could decide to bring elections forward by a few months, potentially to October or November 2028, to facilitate President Erdoğan’s candidacy. He stressed, however, that any such decision would rest with the Turkish Grand National Assembly (TBMM).

Yayman also addressed the government’s “Terror-Free Türkiye” initiative, describing it as a state and national policy rather than a negotiation or concession process. He said a parliamentary commission chaired by Parliament Speaker Numan Kurtulmuş was expected to convene midweek and present a report outlining further steps.

The Daily Sabah Newsletter

Keep up to date with what’s happening in Turkey,
it’s region and the world.

SIGN ME UP

You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Member for 74 years, Türkiye stands out in NATO with its contributions

Published

on


As NATO charts a future with rebalancing ties with its main founder, the United States, Türkiye figures heavily into this future as a major contributor to the international alliance. On Wednesday, it will mark the 74th anniversary of joining the body, three years after its foundation.

Along with Greece, Türkiye joined the alliance in the latter’s first move to expand membership. Today, NATO has 32 members and Türkiye stands out among them with the second-largest army in the alliance. Its capabilities in the defense industry, contributions to the alliance’s operations and missions bring Türkiye to the spotlight at a time of heightened tensions across the world.

Türkiye’s recent leaps in the local defense industry attract attention among NATO countries. Türkiye hosts more than 3,500 defense companies, a stark contrast to about 2,800 companies in 29 NATO member countries. Battle-tested unmanned combat aerial vehicles (UCAVS) manufactured by Turkish companies in particular earned a worldwide reputation. Türkiye currently holds a 65% share in the global UAV market. Between 2020 and 2024, Türkiye ranked 11th in the world in defense exports.

The country’s strategic location also makes it an indispensable ally at the forefront of combat against security risks. The active role of the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) in counterterrorism also makes Türkiye one of the most experienced armies in NATO in field work. Elsewhere, Türkiye is the top contributor to NATO’s Kosovo Force (KFOR), which it currently leads.

Among 32 allies, Türkiye ranks seventh in contributing to the alliance’s budget. Its total contribution is expected to amount to 300 million euros (just over $355 million) this year and to rise to 620 million euros in 2030.

Currently, the TSK is taking part in NATO’s biggest exercise this year, Steadfast Dart 2026. Some 2,000 Turkish troops, the largest Turkish military presence in Europe since Ottoman times, are participating in the exercise that will conclude on Feb. 20. Along with troops, the locally-made TCG Anadolu naval vessel is participating in the exercise. NATO’s Media Information Center on Monday highlighted Türkiye’s contribution to the exercise with a focus on Turkish medical units. “The unit is providing vital, wide-ranging medical support during the exercise (in Germany).

“The Turkish Medical Unit, part of the 66th Mechanized Infantry Brigade, can deliver immediate life-saving medical care in operational areas, including the management of trauma, gunshot and blast injuries, airway emergencies, severe bleeding, and other critical conditions. The specialized personnel within the unit are trained to initiate advanced medical treatment rapidly in austere and high-risk environments,” the center said in an article published on its website.

In Bosnia-Herzegovina, Türkiye is the only non-EU top contributor of European Union peacekeeping force, EUFOR Althea. Since July 2025, Türkiye also chairs the command of NATO’s Allied Reaction Force (ARF), Amphibious Task Force and Landing Force.

Türkiye adds strategic value to NATO not only through its critical role on the alliance’s southeastern flank, but also by providing access to the Black Sea, the Middle East and the Eastern Mediterranean.

With its military, Türkiye makes a significant contribution to NATO’s deterrence and serves as an important part of the Euro-Atlantic security architecture. Its geographic proximity to regional crises greatly enhances NATO’s rapid response capability.

NATO also provides significant support for Türkiye’s defense. Alliance membership strengthens Türkiye’s military modernization and international cooperation opportunities, while intelligence sharing and early warning systems support Türkiye’s national security.

Although it has started courting NATO’s traditional rivals more in recent years, Türkiye is firmly aligned with the alliance, as its leaders repeatedly confirmed.

An international survey by the Pew Research Center published in 2024 found that Turks had a favorable view of the military alliance. Although unfavorable views of the bloc were higher than favorable opinions (at 46%), 42% of people interviewed for the survey favored it, a considerable rise from 18% support in the first edition of the survey in 2011.

Initially rejected by some members, the country, which sought protection against the Soviet Union, was finally accepted after it pledged to send troops to support the United States in the Korean War.

Türkiye also hosts critical NATO facilities, including Allied Land Command, which is located in the western city of Izmir, and Rapid Deployable Corps, which is based in Istanbul. In the capital, Ankara, it hosts the Centre of Excellence for Defence Against Terrorism (COE-DAT) and the Partnership for Peace Training Center. Istanbul hosts the NATO Maritime Security Centre of Excellence (MARSEC COE).

The Daily Sabah Newsletter

Keep up to date with what’s happening in Turkey,
it’s region and the world.

SIGN ME UP

You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Türkiye contributes to NATO’s largest exercise using indigenous assets

Published

on


Naval Forces Commander Admiral Ercüment Tatlıoğlu said Tuesday that the Anadolu Turkish Maritime Task Force played a significant role in NATO’s largest exercise of the year, deploying domestically produced assets.

Tatlıoğlu spoke to journalists aboard Türkiye’s largest warship, TCG Anadolu, during the NATO Steadfast Dart 2026 exercise in the Baltic Sea.

Fifteen ships and 2,600 personnel from Türkiye, France, Poland, Germany, the Netherlands, and Spain participated in the operation.

Tatlıoğlu noted that 11 NATO countries participated in the comprehensive exercise.

“We are participating as the Anadolu Turkish Maritime Task Force with our multi-purpose amphibious ship TCG Anadolu, our replenishment combat support ship TCG Derya, our first national and local frigate TCG Istanbul, and our TCG Orucreis frigate, whose mid-life modernization we carried out with national means,” Tatlioglu said.

The admiral reported that an amphibious marine infantry battalion – armored amphibious assault vehicles capable of operating both at sea and on land, underwater offense and defense commandos, helicopters, unmanned surface vehicles, and three Bayraktar TB3 armed unmanned aerial vehicles – also participated from Türkiye.

He highlighted two key points about the exercise. First, it demonstrated the power projection capability of the Turkish Naval Forces, with marines and amphibious units transported over a distance of more than 8,000 kilometers aboard TCG Anadolu.

Second, the TB3 drones were used for the first time in a NATO exercise and for the first time in an amphibious operation. Tatlioglu noted this represents a new doctrine for NATO, marking the alliance’s first amphibious operation using UAVs.

Tatlioglu stressed: “We exist as a naval force not only in the Baltic Sea but all over the world.”

He mentioned that the Anadolu Turkish Maritime Task Force conducts exercises in the Baltic Sea while the Somali Turkish Maritime Task Force operates in the Indian Ocean.

He noted that Turkish ships also conduct operations in the Persian Gulf, west of Lebanon, and north of Libya, and are currently training with the Italian navy in the Adriatic Sea.

Tatlıoğlu emphasized that Türkiye’s geostrategic position as a country surrounded by seas on three sides requires strong naval forces. He concluded with the message: “We are also a very strong naval force.”

The Daily Sabah Newsletter

Keep up to date with what’s happening in Turkey,
it’s region and the world.

SIGN ME UP

You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending